*Student Best Paper Awards* *Abstract Deadline Extended*
USAEE/IAEE North American Conference • November 1-2, 2021
Dennis J. O'Brien USAEE/IAEE Best Student Paper Award
USAEE/IAEE invites students to submit papers for the 2021 Dennis J. O'Brien USAEE/IAEE Best Student Paper Award. The top prize of US$1,000 will be selected by a panel of energy economists, however four students will be invited to present their paper at a special Best Paper session at the 2021 USAEE/IAEE virtual conference, November 1 & 2. All four invited students receive a registration fee waiver for the entire conference, and the three runner-up students receive prizes of US$500. The same paper may be submitted for both the Best Paper Competition and a concurrent session presentation, though if it is accepted for more than one of these the student must choose one venue in which to present it. Overall, the Best Paper competition is an excellent way to raise the visibility of your research, receive detailed feedback from energy economists, and cover the costs of participating in the USAEE/IAEE conference.
To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must:
- be a full-time student as of the application deadline;
- be a member of USAEE or IAEE in good standing. Membership information may be found at www.usaee.org or www.iaee.org.
The paper must:
- be original work completed by the student;
- not be co-authored by a faculty member or non-student (papers co-authored by fellow students are accepted)
- not have previously won a prize at an IAEE affiliated conference.
Application materials consist of:
- Paper abstract; (may be same as abstract submitted to conference for a concurrent session presentation, in case one has been submitted);
- Paper - double-spaced; 8.5 by 11 inch page setup; 30 pages maximum in PDF (any paper that exceeds the page limitation will be subject to disqualification);
- Letter from applicant verifying he/she meets qualifications (include photocopy of student ID);
- Letter from applicant's advisor or another faculty member familiar with applicant's research confirming that paper meets qualifications for submission and recommending it for consideration.
If the same paper is submitted for both the Best Paper Award and the Student Poster Session and selected as a finalist in both sessions, the student must nominate to appear in one competition or the other but not both.
Please note: in order to receive the award, students must attend the conference and present their paper.
The paper & application deadline is September 20. Please submit all materials electronically in PDF format to email@example.com, with "Submission for Best Student Paper Award" in the subject line. Note: student papers submitted for concurrent sessions can be considered if they submit a full paper. You will be notified as to the disposition of your paper.
For further questions regarding the USAEE/IAEE Best Student Paper Award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concurrent Sessions and Posters: deadline extended to September 10
Abstracts for concurrent sessions and posters will now be accepted until September 10. Notification of acceptance will be made September 17. Submissions already received or submitted prior to September 10 may receive acceptance notification earlier.
Concurrent Session Presentation and Poster Proposal Format
Authors wishing to make a concurrent session or a poster presentation must submit a proposal that briefly describes the topic, research or case study to be presented.
The proposal should include the following sections:
- Overview or summary of the topic including its background and potential significance
- Description of the context, data used, or illustrative example of the topic
- Summary of key insights, results or further questions
- Conclusions: Lessons learned, business or market implications, recommendations for further work
Please CLICK HERE for instructions and requirements for submitting a proposal.