Dennis J. O'Brien* USAEE/IAEE Best Student Paper Award
USAEE/IAEE is pleased to announce its 2015 Best Student Paper Award. A top prize of US$1,000 will be given for the best paper in energy economics. Three runner-up prizes of US$500 each will also be given. All four winners will receive a waiver of registration fees to the 2015 North American Conference held in Pittsburgh, October 25-28, 2015. To be considered for the Best Student Paper Award please follow the guidelines below.
To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must
- be a full-time student as of the application deadline;
- be a member of USAEE or IAEE in good standing. Membership information may be found at www.usaee.org or www.iaee.org.
The paper must
- be original work completed by the student;
- not be co-authored by a faculty member or non-student (papers co-authored by fellow students are ok).
- not have previously won a prize at an IAEE affiliated conference
Application materials consist of
- Paper abstract; (may be same as abstract submitted to conference for general concurrent session presentation, in case one has been submitted);
- Paper - double-spaced; 8.5 by 11 inch page setup; 30 pages maximum (any paper that exceeds the page limitation will be subject to disqualification);
- Letter from applicant verifying he/she meets qualifications (include photocopy of student ID);
- Letter from applicant's advisor or another faculty member familiar with applicant's research confirming that paper meets qualifications for submission and recommending it for consideration.
- If the same paper is submitted for the Best Paper Award and the Student Poster Session and selected as a finalist in both sessions, the student must nominate to appear in one competition or the other but not both.
- Please note: in order to receive the award, students must attend the conference and present their paper. All travel and accommodation costs associated with attending the conference are the responsibility of the award recipients.
- The paper & application deadline is June 23, 2015. Please submit all materials electronically in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Submission for Pittsburgh Best Student Paper Award" in the subject line. You will be notified by July 23, 2015, as to the disposition of your paper.
- For further questions regarding the USAEE Student Paper Award, please contact USAEE Headquarters at email@example.com.
Further note that if you would like to present your paper at the Conference even if it does not receive a Best Paper Award (and thus get presented in a concurrent or poster session), you must follow the regular paper submission procedures, submitting an abstract by May 21, 2015.
* The best paper award honors Dennis J. O'Brien, a champion of students and an early leader of our Association. Dennis J. O'Brien co-founded the US Association of Energy Economics as a chapter of the IAEE in the early 1990s. He was President of the US Chapter during 1994 and 1995. He was President of IAEE for 1997. Those who knew him remember him as being especially dedicated to helping students and energy economics professionals in the early stages of their career. He passed away in 2005 on his return from that year's North American Conference. The awards are funded in part by USAEE members and sponsors who have contributed to the USAEE Student Support Fund.